Monday, March 25, 2013

popping the cherry

having a food blog is long overdue.

i eat a lot. take photos of my food, a lot. and i think i can write.

and i eat a lot, too.

so this is me immortalizing my calorie-intake. and immortalizing my need for social acceptance.

popping my blog-cherry is no easy task. i had to delete a few lines, re-think, re-type, and delete and type again. obviously too much time in my hands. the pressure. of what? oh yeah, my million readers.

ill just shake it off and start where it all began. Bacolod.

this is going to be my Ode to Bacolod. my food sonnet. my, well, blog entry about Bacolod food.

Bacolod is somewhat the gastronomic capital of the Philippines. if it's not for Pampanga claiming that it's them. but hey, im from Bacolod, im expected to be tikalon.

Here are some of my top choices of where and what to eat in the Philippines' gastronomic capital.






this needs no introduction. but for those who are still clueless where to score the best chicken inasal, head to Aida's at Manokan Country. we ilonggos take our inasals seriously. we may have our own personal favorites, like Nena's , Bernadette's, Chicken House, but Aida's is definitely the most famous one, and with good reason. Namit guid!





21's batchoy. if you ask Bacolodnons where the best batchoy is in town, most likely you'll hear 21. ---or Super Batchoy House in downtown area, where i have yet to try. so for now, this tops my list. another favorite of mine on their menu, the kinilaw. and so stylishly served in a margarita glass.
 


Time Out Restaurant's butterfly spareribs and squid sisig got me through my college years. having my OJT here had it's perks. and such delicious perks. one of those comfort food close to my heart, and my tummy.




18th street pala-pala is not to be missed. It's your usual dampa-style ,but only better cause you're in Bacolod. But if you're feeling more adventurous, head to the old pala-pala. personally, i enjoy the rugged vibe there, and their sinigang is a bowl of heaven. but 18th street is just more convenient. and their quality of food is relatively the same.



my favorite dumplings in town would be from L'sea. they make good siopao too. And that bowl of goodness, is their papao rice. divine! i go here just to eat this. another restaurant to look out for is Mai Pao by lacson street, they have their special fried rice (i forgot what it's called) and their siomais are good too! too good that i was torn if i love it more than L'sea's.


Ladies and gentlemen, the cansi. our version of bulalo. only better (because everything is just better in bacolod). like i said, tikalon. may it be from Conee's or Sharyn's (both in shopping area), it's always goood. my perfect hangover cure. or without a hangover. still very good. My Roli's palabok is making a cameo on this photo. that is a must-try when you're in town too. and don't forget to indulge on their famous napoleones.



and yes. my kryponite. Kubo sa Lawn's pork sisig (KSL). i had to slam my head on the wall a few times, hating myself why i only had a taste of this a few years back. where was i? best sisig ever, take it from the sisig connoisseur. pampageno's will be giving me an evil stare.






still have room for dessert? head to Calea. black sambo is my sin of choice. but their blueberry cheesecake and chocolate cake are equally sinful. and El Ideal's guapple pie, just enough to make a girl who's not too crazy about pies go crazy. 

i guess ive tortured myself enough for one day. it's not as if i can just head out and eat all these. but ill be seeing (eating) these all in a few weeks.

expect more photos and opinionated entries to come up when im back in the philippines. not to mention more weight gain.

other dishes/restaurants in bacolod worth mentioning, and are my personal favorites:

Business Inn's Cansi Steak.  Business Inn Hotel, lacson st.



Lord Byron's Backribs. Homesite.



Nene's Snackhouse's spareribs and sisig. Opposite USLS-IS.



Bob's sate babe and fruit punch. SM City Bacolod.



L' fisher's molo. L'fisher Hotel, lacson st.




places im excited to check out and see what the fuss is all about: Shawarma ni Kulas, Pamilya Grill and Balaring. at least we know what im gonna write about next.

i wanted to post the complete address/details of all the restaurants in this blog, but i figured you can do some work and just google it.  and who am i kidding? only one person will be reading this. Hello Pao! my ever-supportive fiance' and partner in food quests.

Bon appetit everyone!

Cheers!



















3 comments:

Lady Anne said...

Hey Debbie! I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog. :) I'm an Ilongga, an expat here in Dubai, a foodie and a newbie blogger too!!! :) I'm looking forward to your next food adventure.

Lady of http://www.ladyandhersweetescapes.com/

Unknown said...

thanks +lady anne :)

Anonymous said...

How